According to the Pew Research Center, less than half of the children in the United States live in a “traditional” family home. Single parent homes are becoming much more of a normal living environment. Targeting single parents with direct mail is an excellent way to reach out to this burgeoning demographic.
12 Tips for Targeting Single Parents
- Targeting single parents is very popular with many businesses because of the large number of consumers in this group. All brands need to attract new customers, and when you focus on this group you can generate loyalty from more than one generation at the same time. Kids who are raised on a specific brand will also experience loyalty toward the company.
- If your goal is targeting single parents then do the necessary research so that your campaign will be successful. Don’t just rush in and hope for the best, because you will usually see the worst when you do this. Look at recent surveys, polls, interviews, focus groups, and other research methods so that you fully understand your targeted demographics.
- Many marketers are highly successful because they tap into the insecurities that parents have, and this is especially true when it comes to single parents. This group often feels inadequate and insecure. When you show how your products or services can make the individual a better parent or give them more time to spend with their family you will be more successful.
- Guilt can be a very effective marketing tool when you are targeting single parents, because this is an emotion that is common in this group. When parents feel guilty they are more likely to buy a product or engage in a service that that their child wants. Children can apply enormous pressure from the start, and you can use this to your advantage.
I asked people what was the hardest part about being a working parent. Not surprisingly, “Guilt that I can’t do everything well” was the top answer (41% choose this one).
- If you want to succeed when you are targeting single parents then you need to show that you understand the consumers that you are trying to attract. Showing that you understand these needs will help you build trust.
Focus on how you can demonstrate to customers that you can be trusted.
- One method that works for targeting single parents is to use links to popular parenting blogs. This may require an SEO specialist but it can increase your brand exposure among this group and help with recognition. You can also engage in blogging yourself and creating articles that interest single parents. The mommy blogger network is a strong and powerful group often used for product reviews.
- Offer solutions to common problems single parents have in your mailers. Think about how your products or services can address the needs that this group has, and then show how you can resolve these issues or improve the situation in some way. This will help you get a higher response rate and more sales, as well as attracting more customers and making more sales.
- One variable that can be important when targeting single parents is social responsibilities. Parents today want to deal with businesses that are socially responsible as well as financially responsible. Send out a press release about efforts or contributions that your business has made to make the world or the environment better in some way.
Supporting veterans, children, or senior citizens with donations or a portion of sales going to a non-profit organization is a great way to help others and let your market know you care.
- Emphasize how your products or services can save the consumer time as well as money. In the hectic fast-paced world where most of us are constantly in a rush, time can be even more valuable than money. This is especially true for single parents who try to be everything to everyone in the household, while also working and doing household chores.
- Providing a valuable discount on a product that kids need or use on a regular basis can be a good way of targeting single parents. This group is often short on money and they appreciate discounts. These parents also typically develop a deep loyalty to brands that make their lives and finances easier. This emotional attachment can be priceless to your business.
- Never lump all parents into the same demographic group; this is a mistake that could cause your campaign to fail instead of flourish. Make sure that you know enough about the subgroups of parents that you hope to attract so that you use the right messages and materials to do this.
- Mailers that include surveys can help you fine tune targeting single parents so that you get better results. Even a few questions can help you stay on top of how single parents are thinking, buying, and trending. This can help you change the campaign to improve features and elements that get a poor reaction and stay on top of modern topics important to the group.
Targeting single parents with your marketing efforts depends on your product or service. However, helping this ever-growing demographic could give your business a boost.